SOURCE: Del Mar College
The COVID-19 pandemic continues with all levels of students, including K-12 and college, needing to complete their work or attend school remotely at times. And, last week’s winter storm and the disruption of internet services also hasn’t helped.
For area students with little or no access to Wi-Fi and the internet, Del Mar College (DMC) is continuing to provide a solution not only for its own students but also for all students in the Coastal Bend area attending K-12 schools and higher education institutions––FREE internet access in designated parking lots with high-density Wi-Fi hotspots.
The continued service is a way to give back to the communities the College serves.
K-16 students can access VikingNet seven-days-a-week between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. in designated parking lots that have high density access points at four DMC locations (maps provided), including:
- East Campus Venters Business Building - parking lot adjacent to Ayers Street,
- West Campus Health Sciences Buildings 1 & 2 - parking lot adjacent to Airport Road,
- Center for Economic Development (3209 S. Staples) - parking lot adjacent to Staples,
- Northwest Center in Calallen (13725 Northwest Blvd.) - parking lot behind the building.
To log into VikingNet, current DMC students will use their College assigned username and password, which they use for WebDMC and their student email. They will be directed to a splash page where they will enter their credentials.
Non-DMC students (all grades) will gain access through a “guest account.” Users will select VikingNet as the hotspot and then fill out a guest access account request. This process is self-service and in real-time.
Students who have questions or need technical assistance with accessing VikingNet can contact the Information Technology Department Help Desk Monday through Friday only between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. Email Vikinghelpdesk@delmar.edu or call 698-2330.
Some rules to follow:
- Free Wi-Fi service is for educational purposes only and is not for video streaming and Netflix or other entertainment service use. See the College’s acceptable use policy:
- Students must remain in their vehicles and practice social distancing at all times.
- The College is currently under Phase 2 of its Return-to-Campus Plan with restricted access to DMC facilities for designated employees and students. Restrooms are not available.
Individuals can also view online information about this service by visiting: https://delmar.edu/offices/cro/cv/public-wifi.html.