A lot of folks have had their fill of pumpkin spice products this fall despite the popularity of the flavor, but there’s a new competitor on the horizon: caramel. It’s a great fall flavor and goes well on all kinds of foods from pretzels, brownies, apples and more. The Food Network has put together a list of six caramel-based items with recipes that you may want to try for yourself if you’re over the pumpkin spice thing.
- Salted Caramel Apple Crepe Cake– make your own crepe cake dessert using roasted apple puree, mascarpone cheese and caramel sauce.
- Individual Caramel Cakes– small, individual-sized cakes featuring cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and thick caramel icing.
- Caramel Apple Soft Pretzels– a regular pretzel with chunks of Granny Smith apples inside and a homemade caramel glaze for icing that’s great with a hot fall beverage.
- Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles– a great twist on a classic holiday cookie as the salted caramel sauce gives it a whole new meaning.
- Gooey Chocolate Salted Caramel Pretzel Brownie– an over-the-top dessert that features gooey brownies, crushed pretzels, homemade caramel-vanilla sauce and even cayenne pepper for a little extra kick.
- Granny's Nana Pudding– banana pudding with caramel sauce in layers and whipped cream on top with this recipe fromKardea Brown.
There are a ton of opportunities here to widen your fall flavor horizons with caramel flavor as the common theme.